Saturday 10 March 2012

I'll miss you, Simon.

I'll miss you, Simon.

The last time I spoke and joked with Simon was at the opening of Arjan's budo dojo in Haarlem - I had no idea that he was ill, he was in his usual good spirits, so I was shocked today when I got a facebook link from Bartosz about the celebration. I'm sorry I won't be able to attend, but I wish to extend my condolences to Simon's family and friends.

I first met Simon in 1992 when I joined Erik Louw's Aiki-Dojo in the Govert Flinckstraat. I always took the Monday classes with Simon, because his style was so different from Erik's - relaxed and almost lazily he would flick someone around the dojo - and his style greatly influenced my own aikido.

I remember that I had been practicing aikido for just a few years, I think I was only 4th kyu, when Simon called up out of the blue to fill in for him at his beginners class in Haarlem. After I agreed and put down the phone I became terrified that I would do something stupid and get one of his pupils hurt, so I focused on tenchi-nage to avoid people throwing other people against the walls of the tiny dojo.

Back then, Simon still had Creatrix in Amsterdam and I would drop by the workshop regularly for a coffee and a chat. When he stopped teaching in Amsterdam and he gave up his workshop in Amsterdam, I saw him less and less, but whenever we met he was always his congenial self.

I will remember you always, Simon, thanks for believing in me.

Martyn van Halm
Pre-Conflict Control
Amsterdam

No comments:

Post a Comment