Tuesday 21 February 2012

Many years ago

Many years ago, I met Simon in Aikidojo in Amsterdam. At the time I was struggling to involve new people in organizing the NCAF. Simon came to talk to me and in his usual friendly stride inquired what I was trying to achieve and with his usual disdain for formality sort of gave me his opinion.
Quite opposite from what I expected from the conversation initially, he sort of changed his opinion. He never became one for meetings and organization, but he was always involved, always had a considered opinion, always supported whatever we tried in his own manner.
Who has trained with Simon has an example of what sempai can mean: the warmth of a senior who will share his experience, look after you, cherish you in his own way. I have experienced that feeling outside of the training as well.
I have known Simon for more than 20 years. I am certain I will remember him vividly for the next 20 years. I will miss the support, the reality-check, the humor.
But I will also miss one of the reasons to actually be involved in organizing Aikido: friends in dojos that make the effort worthwhile.
Let's all take a bit of Simon into our lives he will be with us always. And remember, he is probably having a good time with the ferryman.

Finally, my best wishes for Liduina, Maya, Tasmin and Galen. If we miss him so much, you must miss him so much more.


August

No comments:

Post a Comment